Bathroom Renovation – 7 Budget Wise Tips
Bathroom renovation on a small budget can be challenging, and using the following tips can refresh and update your bath without a huge impact on a tight budget.
1. Fresh paint is always a consideration in any updating process, and bath renovation is no exception. The square footage that can be changed with a small investment is a dramatic beginning. Step out of your comfort zone a little and try a new color with a higher degree of intensity than is usual in your typical color choices.
Buy one of the small samples of paint offered at big box stores for a nominal fee in a lighter or darker shade than that for the body of the room to be used as accents on accessories
2. De-clutter your bath. Look at it as a stranger would. See what you can store out of sight without creating too much inconvenience to your daily grooming routine. Place small grooming items or cosmetics in containers or baskets to streamline your decor. Select containers that are decorative and colorful and harmonize with your bath.
Incorporate the clean look wherever you can in your bath renovation. This will give it a more contemporary feel, and add visual space.
3. Add additional storage. Empty space above the toilet is just wasted. Invest in a shelf unit or small wall cabinet to fill the space and hold bath supplies out of sight. Or get a spacesaver designed to sit on the floor and extend above your toilet. In a small bath a few extra dollars will be well spent on a cabinet with doors to hide clutter. For a little luxury select one with opaque glass which is very attractive, but still confines a multitude of clutter with less visibility.
Spacesavers are available in many attractive styles, and can be found in a range of wood tones as well as painted to suit individual preferences.
4. A new vanity faucet in a brushed or satin finish will give a fresh look to your whole vanity area and are easier to maintain daily than the old time standard high gloss.
5. Lighting should always be assessed when beginning a bathroom renovation. Good lighting is essential in a grooming area, and will brighten up your entire bath. A new style can add just the right touch to your decor.
6. The trend today is toward going green. This has more than one green benefit. It will save you green dollars in a renovation, and also be earth friendly.
Invest sweat equity instead of greenbacks. Revive a tired vanity cabinet with some prep and re-stain. Try a deeper tone. Re-purpose whatever you can. Rather than replace a good tub, update the surround or invest in new shower doors.
check around your home for accessories that are going unused and see if they might be a good fit in your bath.
7. Unless you are blessed with a large bath, remember that in small spaces less can be more. When replacing fixtures or cabinetry for a bathroom renovation project, select smaller items when necessary to leave adequate free space. Select accessories wisely. A few tasteful and well chosen items will be just right for creating a fresh and attractive space.